Act Development with Jezebel Express
Create Your Own Burlesque Routine!
April 8, 15, 22, 29, May 6
Showcase Date to be confirmed
440 Lafayette Street, NYC
Studio 3A *Please come directly to the studio; there is no receptionist.*
This class sells out and there will be no dropins.
Preregistration required for all NYSB classes. By paying to register you agree to comply with our payment, refund, and class transfer policies.
$195 if paid in full, $225 if you use the deposit option: pay a $100 deposit with the balance of $125 due by January 5.
About This ClassGo through all the steps of creating a burlesque routine with Jezebel Express!
You've got the moves, you've got the attitude... but do you have the skills it takes to create a truly spectacular act? This five-week intensive workshop will help you learn how you create while you're creating, and give you the tools and support you need to create a standout burlesque number. This class guides students through the process of developing an act from the first twinkle of an idea to a fully-staged showpiece in a supportive, constructive environment. This class culminates in a Student Showcase performance, so you'll have a chance to show off your hard work onstage!
Students will learn practical skills and invaluable lessons, including:
• how to select the best music to frame and enhance your act
• how to pace movement using choreographic principles for maximum excitement and tease
• how to make creative costuming decisions that don't break the bank
• how to build and maintain a strong character and tell a clear story
• how to perform with grace and poise, even if you're not a trained dancer
• how to anticipate performance disasters (and use them to win your audience over!)
• how to create a striking beginning and an ending with pow!
This class will involve "homework", so students should be prepared to apply each week's lessons at home and return to the following week's workshop with new material.
This class is suitable for both burlesque performers creating their first acts and those with more experience seeking continued growth and improvement.
Class Structure:subject to necessary changes
• Week One - Act Concept & Music Choice
• Week Two - Act Structure & Costuming
• Week Three - Musicality & Choreography
• Week Four - Character Development
• Week Five - Polishing For Performance Plus • Detailing and Rehearsal
• Performance Showcase: TBA
We recommend you purchase The Burlesque Handbook to accompany this class. The book includes information about burlesque dance, history, costuming, makeup, illustrated step by step pastie-making instructions, and more. It is the first and only book on how to create burlesque routines.
Click here to purchase or download from Amazon.com!
You may also purchase a copy from our stockists at the amazing Bluestockings Radical Bookstore, (212) 777-6028, located at 172 Allen Street 10002,
from Enz's at 125 2nd Ave. NY
or from Exit 9 Gift Emporium located at 64 Ave A 10009 (212)228-0145
For a 10% discount on an in-store purchase, tell them you are a New York School of Burlesque Student.
Call your favorite bookstore in advance to make sure it's in stock.
About Jezebel Express
Jezebel Express performs a fan dance
The calendar below is in the process of being updated.